Great British Bake Off/Baking Show, Series 3 (UK)
Signature Challenge– Two Flatbreads: Yeasted & Non-Yeasted
I decided to go with a really basic flatbread for the non-yeasted bread. I’m not too experienced in this area, so I wanted basic. I planned on adding some Italian spices to the dough, but of course forgot to so it ended up being completely plain, but the dinner I made to go into the flatbreads made up for the lack of spice. The recipe I found really is an easy basic flatbread with only 4 ingredients plus the oil for pan frying from Julie Goodwin’s blog.
I do plan on trying the spices out next time and possibly rolling out the flatbreads a little thinner. The consistency of the bread ended up feeling a little weird to me, too thick.
They were easy to whip up though. I just combined the four ingredients, kneaded the dough a bit, rolled out each piece and fried them in a pan.
I decided to do an Italian theme so to go with the flatbread I sauteed some sausage, roasted zucchini and mushrooms, and grated mozzarella cheese. I also heated up tomato sauce to pour on it all. It ended up being like a burrito bowl except Italian version.
All of that went onto the flatbread and I ate it like a taco. My husband threw all his food in a bowl and ate the flatbread separately. So eat it however you want!
Also check out the yeasted flatbread I did for this challenge: Garlic Buttered Naan.
An Easy Basic Flatbread
- 1 ½ Cups Light Coconut Milk
- ½ Cup Butter, cubed
- 4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Salt
- Olive Oil, for pan frying
Other Ingredients (Optional)
- 1 Jar Marinara Sauce, heated
- 1 Block Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 2 Large Zucchinis, diced
- 4 Sweet Italian Sausages
- 1 Lb Shitake Mushrooms, sliced
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Olive Oil
- Optional: Roast diced zucchini and sliced mushrooms at 425°F on a baking sheet with parchment paper coated in olive oil, with some salt and pepper for 20 minutes, mixing halfway through.
- Optional: Take sausages out of casing and break up into pieces. Saute on medium heat in a large non-stick pan until browned. It should take about 10 minutes.
- Heat the butter and milk in the microwave until the butter is melted. Add the dry ingredients and milk mixture into stand mixer with dough hook and beat until combined. Take dough out and knead by hand for about 5 minutes. Wrap the dough up in siran wrap and let rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- After resting, divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll out thinly on a lightly floured surface. Fry each piece in a preheated non-stick pan with olive oil. They should cook with about a minute on each side.
- You can eat your flatbreads with the shredded mozzarella, marinara sauce, roasted zucchini and mushrooms or serve with any other meal of your choosing.